Cheaper than ridesharing services, less trouble than a bike, and more convenient than public transportation… E-scooters have revolutionized the transportation world, making renting one at cents-per-minute as easy as downloading an app. But as e-scooters become increasingly popular, injuries continue to climb drastically.
The e-scooters, usually available in high-traffic areas, have posed major risks in large cities across the United States. Because the e-scooter industry is relatively new with little regulation, there aren’t good systems in place for accident prevention.
Because of this, it’s important to know the dangers behind the phenomena that has taken large cities across the country by storm.
Popular types of e-scooters:
Common accidents caused by e-scooters:
- Scooter malfunction
- Pedestrian collision
- Collisions with automobiles
So, who is liable after an e-scooter accident?
- The e-scooter company: If an e-scooter malfunctions, the company could be held accountable for not ensuring their products are safe for consumers. Although many scooter companies have procedures to ensure their devices are safe, unfortunately, many people have received injuries from e-scooter malfunction.
- Others on the road: Cars, bikes, motorcycles, buses, trucks, and other e-scooter drivers can cause major injuries when impacting an e-scooter driver. In cases like these, the other road user may be held liable if it is shown that their actions caused the accident.
- Property owners: Property owners must maintain their location’s safety at all times, ensuring a secure space for visitors. With that being said, if an e-scooter rider gets injured on someone else’s property, the property owner can be held accountable.
- Pedestrians: As a pedestrian, you must be mindful of others. If a negligent pedestrian causes an accident resulting in injury, they may be held liable.
What to do after getting into a scooter accident:
- Document everything: Take photos of the accident scene, your e-scooter, and injury. Make sure to document the exact area you got hit, along with any other important information.
- Call the police and seek medical attention: Immediately after your accident, call the police. From here, you can file a police report, properly documenting your accident. Additionally, seek medical attention. This is not only important for your recovery but beneficial if you proceed with a personal injury claim.
- Schedule a 100% free consultation: An attorney can help you with the many important details associated with an accident — insurance, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other expenses.
Wyatt Law Firm: The right representation
With over 30 years of innovative personal injury representation, Wyatt Law Firm has been here for the emergence of many technological advances. While these advances can be cutting-edge, they can also allow injury due to lack of research. E-scooters included.
Some of the largest cities in America have e-scooters dispersed throughout. No matter where you are located, we are ready to represent victims throughout the U.S. — including the cities of San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Laredo, and Corpus Christi.
Now offering free phone and video consultations, we are ready to schedule yours, 24 hours of the day. We know injuries have no set office hours, so for your convenience, we are open on weekends and holidays.
Give us a call today! 210-340-5502