Carbon monoxide poisoning is the likely cause of death for a single father from Maryland and his seven children.
After utilities shut the power off in Rodney Todd’s Maryland home, he bought a generator to keep his family warm. Monday, the Todd family – the father and his children, ranging in age from six to 15 – was found dead. The likely cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning, although a police statement said the official cause of deaths remain under investigation.
Police are trying to determine when exactly the power was shut off in the Todd home and when Mr. Todd set up the generator. In Maryland, it is illegal for a utilities company to shut off electricity from November 1 stthrough March 31 st. The only exception is if they file an affidavit with the Maryland Public Service Commission.
The police chief confirmed that a generator was found in the Todd’s kitchen with gasoline inside and that the home’s electricity had been shut off. Mr. Todd’s mother and stepfather told the press that money was usually tight in the Todd home, as the seven children were dependent on only their father’s income that he made as a utility worker for the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
Mr. Todd’s mother notified police that her son and his children were missing because she hadn’t seen or heard from them in over a week. She also visited the house and no one answered the door.
Carbon monoxide poisoning claims the lives of approximately 430 people in the U.S. annually.
In Texas, all homes, daycare centers, group homes, and other residential buildings like apartments must be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always happen. Even when home and property owners take all the necessary precautions to install and maintain these devices, some are defective and do not work properly.
If you or someone you love has been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, we invite you to contact our firm today. Tell Wyatt Law Firm, PLLC. about what happened to you and we will evaluate your legal rights and options free of charge.