A 15-story high rise in the 500 block of North Akard Street in Dallas was evacuated late Monday night after residents began complaining of an odor. Three people suffering from breathing difficulty were transported to the hospital.
While carbon monoxide is odorless, the fire department investigated and determined that there was a carbon monoxide leak. According to a representative from Dallas Fire-Rescue, they did not find the exact source of the leak initially, but believed it was originating from the building’s HVAC system.
The HVAC system was temporarily shut down, and after some time, Dallas Fire-Rescue saw the building’s carbon monoxide readings drop back in the safe range. At that point, residents were permitted back into the building.
SYMPTOMS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
It is important to know the common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so that you can act quickly in the event it happens to you:
- Difficulty breathing
- Blurred vision
Make sure your home or apartment has a working carbon monoxide detector, and avoid burning fuel (gas central heating, furnaces, water heaters, etc.) without proper ventilation. According to the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society, carbon monoxide injures 300 and kills 40 people annually.
Anyone concerned about a carbon monoxide leak or poisoning should immediately call emergency services. 1-800-222-1222 is the number for the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Building managers, owners, and landlords can sometimes be held responsible for harm tenants suffer. If you are interested in learning more, we invite you to contact the San Antonio personal injury attorneys at Wyatt Law Firm, PLLC. today!