Living in a house that is susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning can turn your home into a deathtrap. That’s why it’s important to take steps to ensure such a tragedy never occurs in your house.
The first and most important step is to use carbon monoxide detectors. Getting these detectors is an affordable and reliable way to guard against carbon monoxide leaks that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. The detectors can be purchased on their own or as part of a larger home alarm system. The detectors carry sensors that are programmed to activate whenever the level of carbon monoxide in the room reaches higher-than-acceptable levels. An alarm is sounded when the carbon monoxide levels are found to be rising dangerously.
It is also important to keep your appliances up-to-date to ensure they continue to do their job well. A faulty gas stove can leak gas. Any other appliances that run on gas, oil or coal can produce carbon monoxide that poses a threat to your health. An appliance check should be done at least once every year, and any problems with the devices should be addressed quickly. Even while using appliances that work well, care must be taken to use them in the proper manner. Items which produce a lot of smoke, such as grill or generators should not be kept indoors while being used.
Here are a few other important steps to take:
- Cars should be kept turned off while sitting in the garage.
- Heaters that are placed inside homes should conform to regulation levels as determined by the UL. A heating system that is poorly ventilated can trap gases within the house.
- Gas ovens should not be employed as a quick and easy method to increase warmth inside the house.
- The chimneys and windows of the house should be cleared of all debris which can prevent the escape of noxious gases.
If you or a loved one has suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, an attorney may be able to help you fight for the compensation you deserve.