As exemplified by a recent incident in Nashville, Tennessee, all too often hotel guests find themselves having to be evacuated because of exposure to carbon monoxide.  Sadly, some don’t make it out of the hotel alive, and others suffer long term debilitating effects from the carbon monoxide exposure. 

Carbon monoxide, a deadly gas that can kill quickly, is referred to as the “silent killer” because it has no odor, color, or taste, and is non-irritating.  It is emitted from fuel burning hotel heaters, pool heaters, boilers and water heaters.  While the carbon monoxide is normally safely vented out of the hotel premises, their are circumstances where lack of maintenance, faulty installations, or accidents allow the carbon monoxide to escape into the hotel rooms, exposing unknowing guests to the deadly gas.

Some hotels have installed carbon monoxide detectors in guest rooms, but many have not.  As such, to ensure your own and your family’s safety, its a good idea to buy a portable carbon monoxide detector to take with you any time you check into a hotel room.  They can be purchased online, or at hardware stores, grocery stores, and many other outlets.  The few dollars you spend on a portable carbon monoxide detector could very well save your or your loved one’s life! 

For recent stories about guests being exposed to carbon monoxide in hotels, see the following links:  https://fox17.com/news/local/gas-leak-reported-at-westin-hotel-in-downtown-nashville ; https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article196353719.html ; https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/1-dead-least-11-poisoned-michigan-hotel-carbon-monoxide-leak-n741586 ; https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/12-hospitalized-after-carbon-monoxide-leak-at-13099826.php

For more information about carbon monoxide exposure, visit our web page at  /premises-liability/escalator-accidents/