The personal injury lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm became aware that within the past week, San Antonio Fire Department responded to numerous calls for house fires which causes were directly related to space heaters. Starting on January 20, 2019, a woman and her two pets were evacuated from a house fire when witnesses called firefighters due to seeing heavy smoke engulfing the living room of the home. Firefighters later discovered that a space heater was the cause of the fire. Another major fire occurred on January 23, 2019, where a space heater place inside an outdoor shed caught fire, killed a dog, and melted off the siding of the flame-engulfed shed. The space heater that was most likely priced at under $100 caused a steep $25,000 worth of damage. Finally, the third of many other space heater fires that have plagued the area ignited just before 6 a.m. on January 28, 2019. A 67-year-old man was killed in a house fire in Southwest Bexar County. Authorities discovered that the fire was likely caused by a space heater. The elderly man died from smoke inhalation, and two other family members who resided in the home suffered from severe burns.
The space heater fires in San Antonio are alarming. Although many space heaters are equipped with an automatic-off mechanism, experts report that this is not an adequate safety net. From potential carbon monoxide poisoning - an injury the Wyatt Law Firm personal injury lawyers handle daily - to fatalities and loss of valuable personal belongings that insurance money cannot replace, it is imperative that fire safety be practiced in every home nationwide.
After multiple fire and carbon monoxide lawsuit victories, the personal injury lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm found that the following tips are effective when dealing with space heaters, preventing house fires, and ensuring overall fire safety:
- Space heaters should never be left unattended as they are only meant to provide supplemental heat.
- Never place space heaters on cabinets, furniture pieces, rugs, or carpet as these items can overheat and start a fire. The heater should be at least 3 feet away from all objects, on all sides.
- When not in use, a space heater should be safely stored in an area away from flammable products.
- If usage of a space heater is required, ensure that proper carbon monoxide detectors are installed in the area where the heater is running.
As always, if you or a loved one have been affected by a fire related injury, contact the fire injury attorneys and personal injury attorneys at the Wyatt Law Firm in San Antonio.