San Antonio Bus Accident Attorneys
Advocates For Bus Accident Victims
Were you injured in a bus accident? Since 1990, Wyatt Law Firm’s team of bus accident lawyers has been advocating for victims of negligence. Sadly, most bus accidents are avoidable. When drivers and others do not exercise care and caution, people can get hurt.
Wyatt Law Firm can help individuals who were:
- Injured while riding on VIA Metropolitan Transit
- Hit by a bus as a pedestrian
- Hit by a bus while riding in a passenger vehicle
- Injured in a school bus accident
- Injured in an accident involving a charter bus
- Have lost loved ones to a fatal bus accident
If you or a loved one has been affected by a bus accident, we invite you to contact a bus accident attorney at Wyatt Law Firm.
Wyatt Law Firm provides aggressive representation for people throughout Texas and the nation, including the cities of San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Laredo and Corpus Christi.
Causes Of Public Transportation Accidents
Each bus accident case is unique and should be evaluated by an experienced personal injury attorney in conjunction with accident investigators. Any given bus accident could involve multiple factors that led to the accident, but some of the common causes include:
Poor Bus Maintenance
If buses are not properly maintained or fail to meet safety regulations, it can lead to serious accidents or more severe injuries in the event of an accident. In this case, the bus manufacturer or the entity that owns the buses could be held liable.
Many bus accidents are caused by drivers who simply are not paying attention. Speeding, failure to yield, and other acts of negligence often contribute to traffic injuries and fatalities.
Bus companies that hire underqualified or unlicensed drivers could be held accountable for any accidents caused as a result. Bus companies should only hire drivers with a proper driver’s license and clean driving history.
VIA Metropolitan Transit Accident
The VIA Metropolitan Transit is a mass transportation agency that serves the people of San Antonio. Established in 1977, the VIA Metropolitan Transit helps commuters get to where they need to go. According to the VIA organization, an average of 43.6 million riders use the public transit every year. Because of the number of people and the need for transit, it is not uncommon to see VIA Metropolitan Transit buses zooming through the streets in San Antonio.
With the numbers of riders onboard, bus drivers have a responsibility to drive cautiously and to take all safety precautions. You, as a passenger, expect drivers to have gone through the extensive training needed to operate such large vehicles. You also expect them to be familiar with traffic laws. Unfortunately, buses are sometimes involved in accidents that lead to serious injuries or even death.
In 2013, a San Antonio woman filed a lawsuit against VIA Metro claiming that she had lost the use of her legs after being run over by a city bus in a crosswalk. Her medical expenses cost her thousands of dollars. In 2014, a San Antonio news source reported that VIA Metro was not proactively cooperating in a lawsuit filed by a man who was hit by a distracted VIA bus driver.
Causes Of VIA Metropolitan Transit Accidents
Sometimes, city bus systems ail to take adequate precautions. There are multiple reasons for why bus accidents happen.
But some of the more common causes of public transit bus accidents include:
- Distracted driving – This is one of the leading causes of bus accidents. Bus drivers are responsible not only for the safety of their passengers but also for the safety of occupants in surrounding vehicles. When bus drivers do not pay attention, they risk many lives.
- Fatigued driving – Driving tired is almost as bad as driving distracted. With the number of people riding the bus daily, drivers often end up working long hours. When they do not get enough rest, however, their driving is impaired. Driving while fatigued leads to inattention behind the wheel, resulting in accidents that could have been prevented.
- Improperly maintained buses – There are times when the driver is not at fault. If a bus is not taken care of properly, it can malfunction, thus leading to accidents. It is the job of the transit company to provide properly working vehicles.
- Unqualified drivers – There are certain requirements a driver must meet in order to operate a VIA Metropolitan Transit bus. Some companies hire individuals without checking to see if they have the proper qualifications or without providing necessary training. They can be held accountable if an unqualified driver gets in an accident with someone else.
Contact Wyatt Law Firm For A Free Consultation
If you or someone you love was injured in a bus accident, we invite you to contact Wyatt Law Firm. If you would like us to review your case for free, call us today or fill out our convenient online form.
Wyatt Law Firm does not charge its clients unless we secure a financial recovery on their behalf. No recovery? No fee! Call to learn more.
Wyatt Law Firm, PLLC
21 Lynn Batts Lane, Suite 10
San Antonio, Texas 78218