Fires can start for numerous reasons, but they all leave devastation behind them. It is the type of disaster that can change a family's life forever as they deal with the aftermath of injuries, property loss or even the death of loved ones. When building fires happen because of someone else's carelessness, they may be especially upsetting since they could be avoided. This is what several families are going through here in Texas after an apartment fire displaced numerous families and injured a father and his children as they attempted to escape the blaze.
Living in an apartment is often the best choice for a family, but it can come with added risks. For example, if there is a fire, many apartments are not adequately prepared for such a potentially catastrophic event. Building fires like that can affect multiple families. This is what six Texas families are having to deal with after a recent fire in their apartment complex.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas well-known among medical professionals for its sinister reputation as a "silent killer." However, average people may not know of its existence let alone understand the threat it presents. San Antonio personal injury and carbon monoxide lawyers at Wyatt Law Firm, Ltd. are well-versed on this topic.
The personal injury lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm became aware that within the past week, San Antonio Fire Department responded to numerous calls for house fires which causes were directly related to space heaters. Starting on January 20, 2019, a woman and her two pets were evacuated from a house fire when witnesses called firefighters due to seeing heavy smoke engulfing the living room of the home. Firefighters later discovered that a space heater was the cause of the fire. Another major fire occurred on January 23, 2019, where a space heater place inside an outdoor shed caught fire, killed a dog, and melted off the siding of the flame-engulfed shed. The space heater that was most likely priced at under $100 caused a steep $25,000 worth of damage. Finally, the third of many other space heater fires that have plagued the area ignited just before 6 a.m. on January 28, 2019. A 67-year-old man was killed in a house fire in Southwest Bexar County. Authorities discovered that the fire was likely caused by a space heater. The elderly man died from smoke inhalation, and two other family members who resided in the home suffered from severe burns.
Fire safety is of utmost importance to many Texas residents and others around the nation. Homeowners frequently install smoke alarms and have escape plans in place in the event of a fire. Owners of apartment or condominium complexes also often equip their units with sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems and alternate escape routes in the event of building fires. Unfortunately, every dwelling is not adequately equipped with necessary fire safety measures. A family recently filed a lawsuit against a condominium owners association in another state for the injuries and damages they suffered in a fire at their complex.
Millions of Texas residents live in apartment complexes across the state. Many of these facilities have multiple stories to accommodate a larger number of occupants. While the multi-level living arrangement doesn't usually pose a problem, there could be difficulties in evacuating a facility like this when building fires occur. A recent fire at an apartment complex in Butler left several injured after their attempts to escape.
Living in a house that is susceptible to building fires can be a hazardous option, to say the least. In such a building, succumbing to carbon monoxide inhalation is a more probable likelihood, let alone the scorching consequences of a building fire. Mainly aggravated by a defective sprinkler, it is abundantly clear that residence in such a building such be avoided at all costs. Based on a 2011 report, Texas has gained a notorious reputation of claiming more lives through building fires compared to other States across the U.S. In a clearer perspective, 261 Americans lost their lives through Texas fires in 2011 alone. Such a shocking statistic comes in the wake of mass campaigns on the benefits of sprinkler installation within households.
As Texans, we can't take the threat of fire lightly. In fact, the Lone Star State is one of the leading states in the nation when it comes to fire deaths. Fires happen for a wide range of reasons, from cooking accidents and pure carelessness, to more sinister means like a code violation, faulty electrical equipment or defective alarms.