We measure length with a ruler, weight with a scale, and temperature with a thermometer, but how do you measure for the colorless, odorless, tasteless, and extremely toxic gas - carbon monoxide?
In toxicology, dosage determines the case. In the same way, the severity of a carbon monoxide poisoning depends primarily on a person's exposure to it - the higher the dosage, the worse the poisoning.
The personal injury lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm extend our sincerest condolences to the Cavazos family. We are so sorry to hear of the sudden loss of Mr. Cavazos and his two daughters, found dead in their home Monday evening.
On April 12, 2019, the Personal Injury Lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm discovered that five people at the Newcome Park Apartments were displaced from their home as a result of a fire that occurred overnight on April 12, 2019. The Personal Injury Lawyers and Carbon Monoxide Lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm were informed that the fire began in the attic just above the top floor of one of the apartments. Fire officials reported that everyone was evacuated safely from the building but that two people had to be treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
The personal injury lawyers at the Wyatt Law Firm became aware that within the past week, San Antonio Fire Department responded to numerous calls for house fires which causes were directly related to space heaters. Starting on January 20, 2019, a woman and her two pets were evacuated from a house fire when witnesses called firefighters due to seeing heavy smoke engulfing the living room of the home. Firefighters later discovered that a space heater was the cause of the fire. Another major fire occurred on January 23, 2019, where a space heater place inside an outdoor shed caught fire, killed a dog, and melted off the siding of the flame-engulfed shed. The space heater that was most likely priced at under $100 caused a steep $25,000 worth of damage. Finally, the third of many other space heater fires that have plagued the area ignited just before 6 a.m. on January 28, 2019. A 67-year-old man was killed in a house fire in Southwest Bexar County. Authorities discovered that the fire was likely caused by a space heater. The elderly man died from smoke inhalation, and two other family members who resided in the home suffered from severe burns.
As winter is off to a not-so-cold start in South Texas, there is still time for the winter weather to sneak upon us. A winter-wonderland sounds great; however, there are many risks associated with such weather conditions. One of those dangerous risks is carbon monoxide poisoning. No one likes to get inside a brutally cold vehicle, especially those who have the ability to start their vehicles by using a remote control or an app like OnStar. With this ability comes great danger, especially to those who live in homes as they might forget to open their garages before starting their vehicle. When a car is started in a closed garage, the "silent killer" known as carbon monoxide will infiltrate the garage, leading to accidental poisoning when the driver or passenger enters a garage to get into a vehicle.
Once spring makes an appearance, many Texas boating enthusiasts begin making plans for boating adventures. If you are among these Texans, then you may be preparing your boat and going over a safety checklist to make sure that nothing interrupts your time on the water.
In previous articles, we looked at the causes of carbon monoxide poisoning and the importance of getting tested for carbon monoxide exposure. Now, we turn our attention to the long-term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.
How can something so seemingly innocent be so bad? Carbon monoxide is odorless, it is colorless and it can kill you. Despite the frequent warnings regarding carbon monoxide safety, numerous people suffer injuries or die from carbon monoxide poisoning accidents every year.
We have all heard the warnings about carbon monoxide, the silent killer. Perhaps you have seen TV shows or movies where carbon monoxide overcomes people, rendering them unconscious. Perhaps those fictional characters even died from breathing the odorless gas.