Houston, TX (January 21, 2023) – A pedestrian crash took place in the Houston area on Tuesday that claimed one woman’s life. On January 17, the Houston Police Department responded to the scene of an officer-involved collision.
At around 12:20 a.m., two Houston Police Department officers were en route for a service call while traveling north on the Southwest Freeway, US Highway 59. For reasons unknown, they struck a woman that was walking in the area.
The woman suffered fatal injuries as a result of the crash. She was pronounced deceased at the scene as a result of her injuries.
The officer was not injured in the accident.
The police department is currently investigating the crash.
We offer our condolences to the family of the woman who died in this fatal crash.
Fatal Pedestrian Accidents in Texas
Fatal pedestrians take the lives of innocent people daily in Texas. Regrettably, many of these accidents are a result of drivers who are engaging in reckless actions. Leading factors in fatal pedestrian crashes in our state include:
- Distracted Driving: In today’s world, there are so many things competing for our attention while we’re behind the wheel. Whether it’s our phone, passengers in the car, or something else, it’s important to remember to keep our focus on the road.
- Impaired Drivers: This can include anything from drunk driving to drugged driving. Impaired drivers often have slower reaction times and poor judgment, which can put pedestrians in danger.
- Dark Road Conditions: Dark road conditions can also contribute to fatal pedestrian crashes. When it’s dark out, it’s harder for drivers to see pedestrians and vice versa.
- Speeding: When a driver is speeding, they are at a disadvantage in being able to stop in time if a pedestrian suddenly appears in front of them. Additionally, speeding makes it more difficult for drivers to see pedestrians, particularly at night.
- Fail to Yield: Drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians are much more likely to cause a crash. This is especially true at crosswalks and other locations where pedestrians have the right-of-way.
If your loved one died due to the careless actions of a driver, you must reach out to a Houston wrongful death lawyer immediately. Your family may be entitled to compensation for funeral costs, burial costs, and other losses.
At Wyatt Law Firm, we refuse to let insurance companies and negligent parties profit from the pain of innocent victims. Our fearless legal advocates will fight tirelessly and stand beside you as you pursue justice for your losses caused by a motor vehicle accident. Contact our Texas personal injury lawyers at Wyatt Law Firm by calling 210-340-5550 to schedule a free consultation at your earliest convenience to get started on your case.
Note: Our team used secondary sources when creating this post. These sources include but are not limited to local and state police reports, local news reports, social media platforms, and eyewitness accounts about the accident described. Our team has not independently verified all the facts surrounding this accident. For this reason, if you locate any information that is incorrect, please let us know immediately so that we can correct the error. We will remove a post if requested.
Disclaimer: This post is not a solicitation for business and none of the information provided in this post is intended to be legal or medical advice. The photograph used in this post was not taken at the actual accident scene.