1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Auto Accidents
  4.  » What Does My Insurance Cover After An Accident

What Does My Insurance Cover After An Accident

by | Jul 1, 2016 | Auto Accidents, Insurance

If you ever find yourself in an auto accident, your mind may not immediately turn to your auto insurance in the heat of the moment. Once you’ve ensured that everyone involved in the collision has received the necessary medical attention, you will need to get in touch with your insurance company. But do you know exactly how much your insurance policy will cover, or even what it will cover in the first place?

  • Liability Insurance: Texas law requires that all drivers pay for accidents they are responsible for causing, and can be covered through liability insurance. The state’s minimum liability limits are $30,000 per each injured person up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage. It can also cover defense costs if you are sued because of the accident, and will pay up to $250 for bail if you are arrested following an accident.
  • Collision Coverage: This type of insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your car after an accident. If you still owe car payments, your lender will require that you have collision coverage.
  • Comprehensive Coverage: This covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car if it is damaged outside of an accident. If your car is stolen, the policy won’t pay to replace it until you report the theft to the police.
  • Medical Payments Coverage: This policy covers medical or funeral costs following an accident, regardless of who caused the accident.
  • Personal Injury Protection Coverage: This coverage is similar to medical payments coverage, but also covers 80 percent of lost income as well as the cost of a caregiver if necessary. Insurance companies automatically give you this coverage unless you specifically reject it in writing. The minimum amount they are required to offer is $2,500, but you can purchase more if you feel like it is necessary.
  • Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage: In cases where you were injured by a motorist without insurance, a motorist without enough insurance, or a hit and run driver, uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage will cover the expenses. Insurance companies are required to offer this coverage, unless you specifically reject it in writing. There is also a mandatory $250 deductible for property damage under this policy.

There are a variety of other coverages you can purchase through an insurance provider, including ones that cover the cost of towing and labor, rental cars, additional equipment installed in your car, etc. For more information on the various policies you may be interested in, check out your insurance provider’s website.

In some cases, your insurance policy may not cover the extent of the injuries you sustained, or the damages to your property. Especially in cases where the other driver was at fault and their liability insurance does not cover your expenses, you may be able to sue for compensation. At the Wyatt Law Firm, our San Antonio personal injury lawyers understand what’s at stake, and are prepared to fight for your rights. Contact us today for your free case consultation, or give us a call at (210) 702-2162
to set up a meeting with one of our attorneys.