Carbon Monoxide Exposure in Hotels
The Hidden Danger of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Hotels
The mere thought of experiencing a relaxing vacation in a hotel is enough to make anyone's heart flutter. But beneath the veneer of luxury and comfort lies a lurking monster that could turn your idyllic paradise into a nightmare.
This creature is the poisonous carbon monoxide - a silent and deadly threat that wreaks havoc on unsuspecting travelers.
Recent deaths due to carbon monoxide exposure in hotels and motels have raised awareness and concern. Some hotel guests are unknowingly exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning while they sleep. Hotels and resorts are not the only places where carbon monoxide injuries can occur. Airbnb and VRBO properties have also been plagued with monoxide poisoning. In 2019, six Brazilian tourists died in Chile
due to a carbon monoxide leak in their rented vacation home.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that can kill quickly. It is referred to as the “silent killer” because it has no odor, color, or taste, and is non-irritating.
What Are the Sources of Carbon Monoxide?
Sources of carbon monoxide leaks are emitted from fuel-burning hotel heaters and appliances, fireplaces, pool heaters, gas-burning stoves, boilers, and water heaters. Carbon monoxide is normally safely vented out of the hotel premises, but there are circumstances where a lack of maintenance, faulty installations, or accidents allow the carbon monoxide to escape into hotel rooms, exposing unknowing guests to the deadly gas.
What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can range from mild to severe and may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
If you or a loved one are experiencing any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. Long-term exposure to carbon monoxide can cause permanent damage to the brain and other vital organs, such as the heart, liver, and kidneys. This can lead to chronic health problems that can affect the quality of life and lead to additional medical expenses. In more severe cases, exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can lead to death.
Does Texas Require Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hotels?
The short answer is no. Hotels in Texas are not required to install carbon monoxide detectors in guest rooms. Only 14 states require carbon monoxide detectors in hotels and motels, and Texas is not one of them; however, Texas does require carbon monoxide alarms in certain locations.
Texas has only two carbon monoxide detector laws. The Texas Health and Safety Code, Section 766.003
, which provides public awareness about the dangers of CO poisoning, and the Texas Human Resources Code, Section 42.060,
which requires carbon monoxide detectors in day-care centers, unless the day-care center is located in a school facility that is subject to the Texas Education Code. Carbon monoxide detectors are also required in group homes.
Some hotels in Texas have installed carbon monoxide detectors in their rooms, but many have not. To ensure your own and your family’s safety, it's a good idea to buy a portable carbon monoxide detector to take with you any time you check into a hotel room. The few dollars you spend on a portable carbon monoxide detector could very well save your life.
Do I Need a Carbon Monoxide Injury Attorney?
If you or a loved one have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning due to the negligence of a hotel, contact a Texas hotel and motel carbon monoxide injury attorney
. The Wyatt Law Firm has experience in handling cases involving carbon monoxide poisoning. Their skilled personal injury lawyers can help you seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Remember, carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious condition. Don't delay seeking medical attention and seeking legal counsel from the Wyatt Law Firm. Call 210-340-5550 or use our online contact form
for a free case evaluation today to see how The Wyatt Law Firm can help you.