Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when too much of the gas enters into your system. Burning fuel-gas, kerosene, charcoal, or oil emit carbon monoxide. The gas replaces oxygen in your blood causing your cells to die and your organs to malfunction. If not prevented or treated, carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal.
Known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide cannot be smelled, seen, or tasted. Yet, it is a gas used in many vehicles, stoves, and appliances. Carbon monoxide detectors are usually installed in homes and building to prevent poisoning from happening. Unfortunately, they do not always work. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that more than 400 Americans die each year because of the poisoning. Another 20,000 individuals visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 people are hospitalized.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be the result of either premises or product liability. Texas laws require group-day care homes, day-care centers, family homes, and residential buildings to have a carbon monoxide detector installed on the premises. If the building manager or resident owner fails to do so, they endanger the lives of all the occupants.
Similarly, if the carbon monoxide detectors are faulty or incorrectly manufactured, they cannot sense the gas. This defeats the purpose. Other products that can cause CO poisoning include malfunctioning cars, faulty kerosene space heaters, and a generator. If your product was built carelessly, the manufacturers may liable for any injuries or death caused by these appliances.
If carbon monoxide is difficult to detect, how will I know if I have been exposed to it? For those wondering, it is important to look at the symptoms.
Common symptoms of CO poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
If you were a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning because of product or premises liability, you may be eligible for compensation. Call our San Antonio personal injury attorneys at (210) 702-2162 to schedule a free consultation.