Carbon monoxide is well-understood as dangerous, but not everyone is fully aware of how deadly it can be. As an odorless gas, it can be impossible to tell when a leak is occurring. Carbon monoxide detectors are often the only line of defense between people and a deadly type of poisoning, and yet many properties in Texas are not equipped with functioning equipment. Premises liability claims are often the only way to hold negligent property owners responsible.
Legally, all homes, apartment buildings and day care centers across the state must be outfitted with carbon monoxide detectors. While property owners who fail to install these life-saving devices are obvious in their negligence, other types of negligence are not always so clear. Installing a detector without checking to see if it is defective can be negligent, as can ignoring proper upkeep, such as replacing batteries as needed.
This type of negligence can be deadly. Carbon monoxide is both colorless and odorless, and prolonged exposure can result in poisoning, causing brain injuries, cardiac complication and even heart failure. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are not always clear-cut either, as they can overlap with symptoms for more general illness. Dizziness and nausea -- both of which are symptoms -- are not clear indications that there is a gas leak that requires evacuation.
Carbon monoxide poisoning has taken far too many lives in Texas, many of which could have possibly been prevented by the presence of a functioning detector. Premises liability claims can be confusing for those who are grieving. We have helped countless families pursue just compensation for a loved one's death, guiding each through the process to the most satisfactory result possible for their unique situations.