Dealing with Carbon Mono-Oxide Poisoning

Dealing with Carbon Mono-Oxide Poisoning

Some houses are at greater risk of carbon mono-oxide poisoning than others. While you can file a claim in court for any damages suffered due to the presence of carbon mono-oxide in your residence, you also need to stay aware of what to do immediately after getting poisoned by the gas. The symptoms of carbon mono-oxide vary depending on the concentration of the gas, from headache, shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness, feeling sick, mood swings, vision problems, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, nausea to vomiting. If you do not get the symptoms treated, the condition may worsen so you experience unconsciousness, a seizure or enter a coma.

Once the situation worsens, death can occur in minutes or hours. Even being exposed to very low levels of the gas can result in the symptoms over a long period of time. Go to the doctor the moment you feel you have been poisoned. The doctor will provide treatments including oxygen, fluid supply and treat your seizures. You will need to provide accurate details about how long you have experienced the symptoms and what the results have been on your health. If the situation is urgent, you may be taken to the emergency department. If your condition becomes stable after treatment, the doctor may allow you to go home.

He may also want you to schedule a follow-up visit to keep a tab on your condition and the result of the poisoning on your brain. If the symptoms persist, you may wish to take the assistance of a respirator to get access to pure oxygen. A hyperbaric chamber is also available for severe cases of carbon mono-oxide ingestion. In case you continue to experience the symptoms, don't wait for the worst signs to manifest themselves. Move to a source of fresh air as soon as possible and alert the authorities about the gas leak. If you suspect the reason behind the escape of the gas, let the authorities know, and explain to them the conditions that you have been living under.

Remember that you are not the only one who may suffer from carbon mono-oxide poisoning. Gas travels very easily through the smallest of holes in walls and windows, and the carbon mono-oxide that reaches you most likely is also responsible for causing the people living near you to get sick as well. If you complain repeatedly about the problem to your landowner or the person in charge of your building and they do not take steps to correct the problem, you have the right to approach the court with your grievance and demand a resolution to your problem. 


"*" indicates required fields

I have read the disclaimer.**