As more American drivers worry about the carbon dioxide and greenhouse gas emissions of standard combustion vehicles and their environmental impacts, they turn to electric vehicles. Considering an electric vehicle's fewer moving parts and advanced technology, it's no wonder millions of vehicle consumers have invested in electric vehicle (EV) models.
However, as with all technology shifts, unexpected growing pains and safety consequences exist. Many recent EV accidents have experts and consumers alike wondering if electric cars are more dangerous.
Time, along with thorough statistical analysis, will provide answers. In the meantime, accidents with electric cars will continue to happen. Suppose you have suffered an injury in an accident involving an EV, including one you were occupying. In that case, it's time to call a Texas electric vehicle accident attorney for sound guidance.
The legal professionals at the Wyatt Law Firm understand these accidents and their complexities. They work tirelessly so injured victims and their families can receive due compensation.
Why Choose Us?
At Wyatt Law Firm, we've recovered over $500 million in compensation for hundreds of clients who have placed their trust in us.
Some of our recent settlements and court awards include:
- $1.83 million for a wrongful death claim stemming from a defective automobile tire
- $2.4 million for an injured party suffering several injuries, including a neck injury after an 18-wheeler improperly turned in front of oncoming traffic
- $2 million for three injured parties when a van ran into the back of their vehicle resulting in moderate injuries, including neck injuries
- $1.3 million (the largest settlement in Kendall County) for a victim rear-ended by a large pickup truck suffering neck and back injuries that required surgery
Our attorneys are determined to win, and it shows. We listen compassionately to our client's stories, thoroughly documenting their pain, suffering, and other damages. Then we work tirelessly to maximize their compensation, no matter who we must stand up against. We proudly serve injured clients on a contingency fee basis, so you won't owe us anything upfront to represent your electric vehicle accident claim.
We have a passion for justice and want to help you receive the necessary medical care and resources to rebuild your life after an accident. We are trial lawyers who aren't afraid to take your case to court if you cannot reach a full and fair settlement with the liable parties and their insurance companies.
Our office is conveniently located just up the street from Colonial Gardens in San Antonio at:
21 Lynn Batts Lane, Suite 10,
San Antonio, TX 78218
How Much Is My Electric Vehicle Accident Case Worth?
Electric vehicle accident cases vary in value. The best way to learn how much compensation you can receive for your injuries and damages is to schedule a no-obligation case consultation with a Texas electric vehicle accident attorney. During this consultation, you can discuss the details of your accident and injuries, which will help the attorney estimate what your claim can be worth.
Many factors can affect an electric vehicle accident's claim value, including:
- Who caused the accident
- The insurance policies involved and their coverage limits
- The severity of your injuries
- Your property damage
- Your lost income
- Your ability to return to work
- The strength of your case
- Your attorney's experience and negotiation skills
Where Do Electric Vehicle Accidents Occur in Texas?
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, Texas had 80,900 registered electric vehicles as of June 2022. While these vehicles can offer many environmental and practical benefits, they aren't immune to accidents. Electric vehicle accidents can occur nearly anywhere in Texas.
However, some of the hot spots for these accidents include:
- Interstate 35
- Interstate 45
- Ft. Worth
- El Paso
- San Antonio
In San Antonio specifically, most accidents occur on these roads or at these intersections:
- Loop 1604
- Loop 410, also known as Interstate 410
- Interstate 10 – the most dangerous parts are where it intersects with other highly trafficked roadways, such as I-35 and loop 1604
- Highway 151 and Loop 410
- Loop 410 and San Pedro Avenue
- Loop 410 at Rigsby Avenue
- Loop 410 and Marbach Road
- Ingram Road and Loop 410
- Culebra Road and Loop 410
- I-10 and Loop 1604
- Bandera Road and Loop 1604
- Interstate 10 at Wurzbach Road
In addition, with over 2,000 EV charging stations in Texas, around or near EV charging stations is another common place for electric vehicle accidents. With so many EVs going in and out in a hurry in one area, you can expect accidents to happen here.
Electric Vehicle Accidents
While they may be better for the environment, EVs, unfortunately, aren't safer than their traditional counterparts.
These vehicles raise many specific concerns:
- Their lack of noise will alert nearby pedestrians, bicyclists, and potentially motorcyclists and other motorists of their presence.
- Their weight, which is mainly attributable to their battery, can cause severe damage and injuries in an accident. When two vehicles collide, the heavier vehicle pushes the lighter one backward, resulting in higher forces on the people in the lighter vehicle and lower forces on people in the heavier vehicle.
- The fire hazards posed by their battery. When damaged, lithium-ion batteries can ignite, and the fires can be extremely difficult to extinguish.
Types of Electric Vehicle Accidents
- Pedestrian or bicycle accidents: EVs are much more likely to collide with cyclists and pedestrians due to their low-noise engines. Sadly, pedestrians and bicyclists are no match for EVs and can suffer extreme injuries or even death in these accidents.
- Rear-end accidents: A rear-end accident happens when one car collides with the vehicle directly in front of them. Rear-end accidents can range from minor to severe, depending on their speeds at the time of the collision.
- T-bone accidents: Sometimes called side-impact or broadside collisions, a "T-bone" accident happens when the front or rear of another vehicle hits the side of a vehicle. These collisions commonly result in severe injuries for all involved parties.
- Sideswipe accidents: When the side of one car hits the side of another vehicle, a sideswipe collision occurs. This usually happens while both cars are moving in the same direction.
- Rollover accidents: A rollover accident happens when a vehicle turns onto its side or upside-down due to an accident or leaving the roadway. These accidents are usually severe, resulting in substantial injuries and possibly even death.
- Head-on collisions: These accidents happen when two vehicles directly impact each other at the front while moving in opposing directions. Even when the cars travel at modest speeds, these collisions can cause severe injuries or fatalities.
- Hit and run accidents: After any type of accident in Texas, the law requires all drivers to stop and remain at the accident scene to at least exchange information. Hit-and-run accidents are where one driver decides to leave the scene or not stop at all, which can result in a ticket and even criminal charges.
Types of Electric Vehicle Accident Injuries
Injuries suffered in EV accidents are typically the same as those involving traditional vehicles. Injuries frequently arising from motor vehicle accidents can range from minor and passing to severe, permanent, life-threatening, deadly, or anywhere between.
The most common auto accident injuries tend to include:
- Head and brain injuries: Concussions, puncture wounds, and severe traumatic brain injury can all cause irreversible damage to accident victims
- Whiplash: Caused by heads and necks moving back and forth quickly and forcefully during a collision
- Back injuries: Spinal cord injuries, herniated discs, and vertebral fractures can lead to severe and lasting pain
- Bone fractures and internal organ injuries: Crash survivors can suffer punctures to internal organs, internal bleeding, and other life-threatening harm, depending on which bones break
- Burns: These are especially concerning for victims of EV accidents due to lithium battery concerns and can lead to severe pain, infections, and scarring/disfigurement
It's crucial to get immediate medical attention and the required follow-up care. While this can help you recover from your physical injuries, it's also essential to a potential financial recovery. When your injuries are documented shortly after your accident, your Texas electric vehicle accident attorney can use them to help prove your damages.
Going up Against the Insurance Company
More often than not, insurance adjusters attempt to take advantage of victims who don't have a lawyer experienced in Texas law on their side. Unfortunately, insurance companies aren't in business to look out for their claimants' or insureds' best interests. Someone injured in a severe accident rarely receives the injury settlement they deserve without hiring a seasoned Texas electric vehicle accident lawyer.
Car insurance companies go to great lengths to prevent you from getting the compensation you deserve. They will attempt to rush you into accepting a settlement offer quickly before you even have a chance to reach out to a Texas electric vehicle accident attorney or understand the full extent of your injuries.
They take advantage of accident victims who face difficult financial situations and need money now. Insurance companies will tell you that you don't need a lawyer and that they will take care of everything. They might also downplay your injuries and damages. Some will even act like your friend and show extreme concern for your well-being, but it's all an act.
These behaviors are part of insurance companies' tactics to pay less on car accident claims to keep more money in their pockets. Our San Antonio personal injury attorneys talk to insurance adjusters every day. We know how to handle them and negotiate fair settlements for our clients so you don't get taken advantage of.
If the insurance company offers you a settlement, proceeding with caution is crucial. Don't accept such an offer until after receiving treatment for your physical injuries and your doctor states that you have reached maximum medical improvement.
To increase your chances of being fairly compensated for your injuries, consult with a knowledgeable Texas electric vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Don't sign any documents pertaining to a settlement or any information releases before you speak with them.
What to Do After an Electric Vehicle Accident?
After being involved in an electric vehicle accident, you can take many crucial steps to ensure your claim will succeed.
- Hiring a Texas electric vehicle attorney as soon as possible after learning of your injuries
- Adhering to your medical treatment plan and your doctor's orders
- Keeping receipts and bills you receive that are related to your accident
- Documenting what you remember about the accident, your injuries, and your pain and suffering daily
- Requesting a copy of the accident report from the responding law enforcement agency
When you come in for your initial case consultation at the Wyatt Law Firm, bring your receipts, bills, accident reports, journal, and other related documentation. This will help your attorney gain a better understanding of your claim and provide them with tools to help you maximize your compensation.
Contact a Texas Accident Attorney at Wyatt Law Firm Today
An electric vehicle accident can leave you with serious injuries, devastating economic losses, and a long road to recovery. While you may struggle with severe physical injuries, your psychological and mental recovery can also take time. You also have to deal with vehicle repairs, lost income, and medical bills, making it especially difficult to pick up the pieces after a devastating crash.
At the Wyatt Law Firm, we know the challenges accident victims often face after vehicle crashes. We are here to help you navigate the complex legal process so you can receive the compensation you deserve. We will be your trusted advocates from the beginning to resolving your claim. Our Texas electric vehicle accident attorneys and their staff are constantly working on getting you the best result for your car accident case.